Monday, November 15, 2010

Pilgrims and the Mayflower

This year we are devoting an entire week to our study of Thanksgiving, Pilgrims, and Indians. I've recently discovered the Magic Tree House series and how wonderful it is to supplement our history lessons with it! So here's what we did for todays lesson:

First we read the first two chapters of "Thanksgiving on Thursday" (Magic Tree House #27) by Mary Pope Osborne.


After finishing up chapter 2, the girls were excited to begin working on their lapbooks! So while I read chapter 1 in the Magic Tree House Research Guide about Pilgrims (about Pilgrims and the crossing on the Mayflower) the girls colored the cover page on the lapbook.
Here's a couple of pictures of my little ones hard at work :)


After I finished the short reading, Sara and I began filling in the different sections of her lapbook that pertained to today. We talked about who the Pilgrims were (where they came from and where they were going; what sort of jobs they had; their search for religious freedom). We discussed the Mayflower's size and I showed them a picture of what it looked like. The Research Guide also had a picture of the Mayflower's insides so we talked about the different levels and the living conditions there. We also talked about the different supplies the Pilgrims would need for a two month trip across the ocean.
We talked about the Mayflower Compact and the rules it included. We also talked about how it was the first form of a government for America. As Sara was copying the 3 rules in her lapbook, I read the girls the actual version of the Mayflower Compact.
I leave you with a joke....
What happened when the turkey got into a fight?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It got the stuffing knocked out of it!!!!






0 comments:

Post a Comment